http://www.harmonywellness.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/bitters.jpg 450 360 Harmony Wellness Vancouver http://www.harmonywellness.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/harmonyweblogo_horiz.jpg Harmony Wellness Vancouver2016-08-20 14:51:062016-08-20 14:51:06Eat Your Medicine
- There is a big emphasis in Chinese medicine that the food we eat is our best medicine. Food, after all, is the medicine we take into our bodies many times a day. This philosophy makes sense, especially when working with a medicine that focuses on prevention. Why not eat to stay healthy so that you never get sick?
- So how, you might ask, can I eat in the healthiest way according to Chinese medicine? Well, eating with the seasons is one of the fundamentals. This used to be the way that not only the Chinese ate, but the way all of our ancestors ate as well. What was eaten was what was grown in that particular season – which is what our bodies, and especially our digestive systems were designed for. Part of the reason that we have so many digestive problems in our present culture is because we are able to eat foods that grow in all seasons (because of the miracle of mass transportation and refrigeration) strawberries in winter, root vegetables in summer, etc… Although it is wonderful to have this kind of variety all year around, it is not ideal for our digestive systems.
- In Chinese medicine there are also many foods and recipes that are used when we come down with something like a cold or flu. Congee is a good example – and there are a few excellent recipes here – Winter Congee for Colds & Flu, Chicken & Corn Congee, Ginseng Congee for Health & Longevity.
- The job of the Chinese medicine practitioner is not only to administer acupuncture and herbs, but also to consult their patient about nutritional therapy to help the body to rebalance and heal, because, food is some of the most powerful medicine 🙂
- Because I love food and because I believe so much in its power to heal, to keep us healthy and energetic (or do the opposite), I completed a nutrition program at school, and research about nutrition on a regular basis. So if you are interested in finding out more about how to optimize your diet, I would be happy to incorporate a deeper discussion on this in your sessions with me